Sunday, September 15, 2013

Here we go again...


I don't know why I like gamepads, but I do. Maybe it's because they have been part of my life since my first Nintendo Game & Watch back in 1982 up until today's 3DS. Maybe it's the tactical feedback when pushing buttons (and blisters after too much pressing?). Anyway, gamepads is my preferred way of playing the games I like.

I also love mobile gaming as it have such awesome capabilities of creating games that I can carry with me wherever I am.
For years I was arguing for proper gamepad support for iOS so I was extremely happy when it was announced during WWDC earlier this year. Sure it might only appeal to a fragment of iOS players but for me it's the point where the games I like to play finally can see the light on the mobile platform I carry in my pocket and turn it into the gaming machine I wanted it to be for so long. An a similar topic, don't get me started about the possibilities of Apple-TV ;)

If you've read my blog before you also know I like building my own gamepads! My last attempt resulted in a perfectly working iCade-compatbible Wii classic controller but it's not something you carry around.

So far the mobile game controllers I've seen have lacked the look and feel of the core hand held gaming devices made by Nintendo and Sony (for instance) that I'm used to. So inspired by the new MFI game controller capabilites and the lack of design I've started a new gamepad project with the formfactor of a Nintendo DS. I'm just hoping someone makes an MFI-gamepad like the image below.


Naturally I'm not part of the MFI program so I will have to stick with either an iCade or Bluetooth HID compatible gamepad. The first version won't make use of a second screen just to keep things simple.

The plan (roughly) is something like this:

  1. Get hold of a second NDS. I don't want to sacrifice my own!
  2. Open and remove everything to get an empty case.
  3. Make prototype PCBs for the new electronics and controller buttons.
  4. Implement prototype
  5. Create final PCB and mount in case

Component wise I will be using 
  1. Sparkfun BlueSmirf HID for bluetooth connectivity
  2. Arduino Nano as micro controller (prototyping)
  3. Digispark for "production"
  4. IC 4051 as mux for digital input (to save input pins)
  5. Custom made PCB to hold components and dpad and buttons
That's it for this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment